How to register to vote in Michigan

Can I trust this information?

These guides are researched, written, and updated by Democracy Works, a non-partisan 501(c)(3) registered non-profit organization, to inform voters via TurboVote and other partners. The information in these guides originates from official state sources and is reviewed by state election offices. The guides also link to authoritative state and local resources to provide additional information.

How do I report an issue with the information provided on this page?

Drop us a line to report an issue, share feedback or ask questions about the voting information on this page.


Michigan offers online voter registration. You can register by mail to vote in Michigan by printing a voter registration form, filling it out, and mailing it to your local clerk. You can also register to vote in person if you prefer. You can register to vote online and by mail up to 15-days prior to Election Day. Within two weeks of Election Day, you must register to vote in person at your local clerk's office.

Who can register to vote?

To register in Michigan you must:
  • be a citizen of the United States
  • be at least 17.5 years old (18 when you vote)
  • be a resident of Michigan when you register
  • be a resident of your city or township for at least 30 days when you vote
  • not currently serving a sentence in jail or prison

Can I register to vote online?

  • Michigan offers online voter registration. You can register to vote online up to 15 days before Election Day.
  • You should know: you need a Michigan driver's license or state ID and the last 4-digits of your Social Security Number to use Michigan's online voter registration system. If you don't have a Michigan-issued ID or Social Security Number, you can still register by mail to vote.

Can I submit voter registration forms by mail?

Use the National Voter Registration Form

  1. Print and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
  2. Box 6 - ID Number: Your completed voter registration form must contain your Michigan driver's license number or Michigan-issued personal identification card number. If you do not have a driver's license or state issued personal identification card, you must include the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you do not have a driver's license or a state issued personal identification card or a Social Security number, please write "NONE" on the form. A unique identifying number will be assigned by the State.
  3. Box 7 - Choice of Party: Michigan does NOT require that you register with a party to participate in partisan primary elections.
  4. Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank. This information is not required.
  5. Review the "Who can register to vote?" section above and check that you're eligible.
  6. Sign the form.
  7. Send the completed form to your local clerk
  8. Notice: Michigan law requires that the same address be used for voter registration and driver's license purposes. Therefore, if the residence address you provide on this form differs from the address shown on a driver's license or personal identification card issued by the State of Michigan, the Secretary of State will automatically change your driver's license or personal identification card address to match the residence address entered on this form. If an address change is made, the Secretary of State will mail you an address update sticker for your license or personal identification card.
  9. If you are registering to vote for the first time in your jurisdiction and are mailing this registration application, Federal law requires you to show proof of identification the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes:
    • A current and valid photo identification or
    • A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
    • More information here.

Can I register to vote on Election Day?

Michigan does offer registration on Election Day. To register on Election Day, you must visit your local clerk's office with proof of residency. Proof of residency may include:
  • bank statement
  • valid driver's license or ID
  • lease
  • utility bill
  • credit card statement
  • web page on your school's official academic portal listing your name and current address
  • official school or financial aid document (e.g. a transcript, a loan statement, a FAFSA document)
Voter registration is not available at your polling place on Election Day.

Can I submit voter registration forms in person?

  • You can also register to vote in person at your local clerk's office up to and on Election Day. Within two weeks of Election Day, you must register to vote in person. Voter registration is not available at your polling place.
  • Contact your local clerk to learn more.

How do I get help registering to vote?

If you’d like more help planning how to register, TurboVote can walk you through the process! They can also help you start the absentee/mail-in ballot request process, send you election reminders, and more.

How do I vote if I'm in the military or live overseas?

Active-duty military, their families, and overseas citizens can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The FPCA process is done by mail, but your state may offer other options to request and return ballots. Please contact your local clerk for more information about delivery and return methods, including email, fax, and state online portals. To follow the FPCA process:
  1. Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your local clerk may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
  2. Send the application to your local clerk.
  3. It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible.
  4. Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it.
  5. States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local clerk.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your local clerk first. Then:
  • You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local clerk.
  • If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
The Federal Voting Assistance Program offers additional information on military and overseas voting in Michigan. You can also call 1-800-438-VOTE (8683) or email

How can I check my voter registration status?

You can look up your voter registration record and verify that your information is correct using Michigan's voter registration lookup tool.

Which election office should I contact?

  • In Michigan, your local clerk runs the elections in your area. They can help you with questions about registering to vote, voting by mail, and local elections.
  • The Secretary of State oversees elections and election administration in Michigan. They can help you with questions about voting in your state, election security, or issues you might have at the polls. If you have concerns about voter intimidation, reach out immediately.

How do I contact my local election office?

Visit your state’s site to find your local clerk.