How to register to vote in Connecticut

Can I trust this information?

These guides are researched, written, and updated by Democracy Works, a non-partisan 501(c)(3) registered non-profit organization, to inform voters via TurboVote and other partners. The information in these guides originates from official state sources and is reviewed by state election offices. The guides also link to authoritative state and local resources to provide additional information.

How do I report an issue with the information provided on this page?

Drop us a line to report an issue, share feedback or ask questions about the voting information on this page.


Connecticut offers online voter registration. You can register by mail to vote in Connecticut by printing a voter registration form, filling it out, and mailing it to your Registrar of Voters. You can also register to vote in person if you prefer.

Who can register to vote?

To register in Connecticut you must:
  • be a citizen of the United States
  • be a resident of Connecticut and of the town in which you wish to vote
  • be at least 17 years old and be at least 18 years old on or before Election Day (17 year-olds who will turn 18 on or before Election Day, may participate in the general primary)
  • have completed confinement if previously convicted of a felony, and have had your voting rights restored by Registrars of Voters

Can I register to vote online?

  • Connecticut offers online voter registration.
  • You should know: to use the online voter registration system you must have a current and valid driver’s license, learner’s permit, or non-driver photo identification card issued by the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and a signature on file with DMV

Can I submit voter registration forms by mail?

Use the National Voter Registration Form

  1. Print and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
  2. Box 6 - ID Number: When you register to vote, you must provide your Connecticut driver's license number, or if none, the last four digits of your Social Security number
  3. Box 7 - Choice of Party: Connecticut requires that you register with a party to participate in partisan primary elections. You should register with the party whose primary you would like to vote in.
  4. Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank. This information is not required.
  5. Review the "Who can register to vote?" section above and check that you're eligible.
  6. Sign the form.
  7. Send the completed form to your Registrar of Voters
  8. If you are registering to vote for the first time in your jurisdiction and are mailing this registration application, Federal law requires you to show proof of identification the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: current and valid photo identification or
    • current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
    • More information here.

Can I register to vote on Election Day?

Connecticut does offer registration on Election Day at designated locations in each town beginning at 6:00 a.m. and ending at 8:00 p.m. It is not available at your polling place.

Can I submit voter registration forms in person?

  • You can also register to vote in person. Contact your Registrar of Voters for information on when and where to register to vote.
  • Election-day registration is not available at your polling place, but is available at a designated location in each town, beginning at 6 a.m. and ending at 8 p.m. (You can register and vote at the designated location for your town.) Please plan to arrive early in the day as there may be long lines. You must be registered by 8 p.m. in order to vote. You will need to provide proof of identity and residency.
  • Learn more by visiting the Connecticut Secretary of State's website or contacting your Registrar of Voters.

How do I get help registering to vote?

If you’d like more help planning how to register, TurboVote can walk you through the process! They can also help you start the absentee/mail-in ballot request process, send you election reminders, and more.

How do I vote if I'm in the military or live overseas?

Active-duty military, their families, and overseas citizens can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The FPCA process is done by mail, but your state may offer other options to request and return ballots. Please contact your Town Clerk for more information about delivery and return methods, including email, fax, and state online portals. To follow the FPCA process:
  1. Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your Town Clerk may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
  2. Send the application to your Town Clerk.
  3. It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible.
  4. Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it.
  5. States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your Town Clerk.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your Town Clerk first. Then:
  • You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your Town Clerk.
  • If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
The Federal Voting Assistance Program offers additional information on military and overseas voting in Connecticut. You can also call 1-800-438-VOTE (8683) or email

How can I check my voter registration status?

You can look up your voter registration record and verify that your information is correct using Connecticut's voter registration lookup tool.

Which election office should I contact?

  • In Connecticut, the Registrar of Voters and Town Clerk run voter registration and elections in your area. The Registrar of Voters can help you with questions about registering to vote, and the Town Clerk can help you with questions about voting, including voting by mail.
  • The Secretary of State oversees elections and election administration in Connecticut. They can help you with questions about voting in your state, election security, or issues you might have at the polls. If you have concerns about voter intimidation, reach out immediately.

How do I contact my local election office?

Visit your state’s site to find the contact information for the Registrar of Voters or the Town Clerk.

How do I contact my state election office?