Can I trust this information?

This election guide is researched, written, and updated by Democracy Works, a non-partisan 501(c)(3) registered non-profit organization, to inform voters via TurboVote and other partners. The information in these guides originates from official sources. The guides also link to authoritative state and local resources to provide additional information.

How do I report an issue with the information provided on this page?

Drop us a line to report an issue, share feedback or ask questions about the voting information on this page.

62 days to Election Day!

Can I register to vote online?

  • Utah offers online voter registration.
  • You should know: you need a Utah ID to use Utah's online voter registration system. The address on the ID needs to match the address where you're registering to vote. If you don't have a Utah-issued ID, you can still register by mail to vote.

Can I submit voter registration forms by mail?

Use the National Voter Registration Form

  1. Print and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
  2. Box 6 - ID Number: Your completed voter registration form must contain your Utah Driver License number, a Utah State Identification number, or the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you do not have a Utah Driver License or a Utah State Identification card, please write "None" in the designated space and fill in the last four digits of your Social Security number.
  3. Box 7 - Choice of Party: Utah requires that you register with a party to participate in partisan primary elections. You should register with the party whose primary you would like to vote in. However some parties allow unaffiliated voters to participate in their primary elections.
  4. Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank. This information is not required.
  5. Review the "Who can register to vote?" section above and check that you're eligible.
  6. Sign the form.
  7. Send the completed form to your local election office
  8. If you are registering to vote for the first time in your jurisdiction and are mailing this registration application, Federal law requires you to show proof of identification the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes:
    • A current and valid photo identification or
    • Two forms of ID that, when combined, prove your name and current residence (bank statements, paycheck, current utility bill).
    • More information on ID requirements here.

How do I vote by mail?

Utah conducts elections primarily by mail. If you are an active registered voter, then you can expect to receive a ballot in the mail. It will be sent to the mailing address you used to register to vote.

What should I do if I don’t get my ballot?

If you don’t receive your ballot in the mail, then contact your local election office.

How do I return my ballot?

What do I need to do if I’ve moved?

What’s on your ballot depends on where you live, so your voter registration is tied to your exact address. If you’ve moved, you need to re-register with your new address.

How can I check the status of my ballot?

You can check the status of your ballot on Utah’s site.

Can I submit voter registration forms in person?

  • You can also register to vote in person. Contact your local election office for information on when and where to register to vote.
  • You can also register to vote and cast a ballot in person on Election Day and during the early voting period. You will need to present two forms of identification at the voting location to register.
  • Learn more by visiting the Utah Lieutenant Governor's website or contacting your local election office.

Do I need to bring an ID to vote in person?

You will need to show ID to vote in Utah. You can show either ONE photo ID or TWO non-photo IDs, that when combined, prove your name and current residence.

Acceptable forms of photo ID include:
  • Utah driver's license
  • ID card issued by the state or a branch, department, or agency of the United States
  • Utah permit to carry a concealed weapon
  • US passport
  • tribal ID card (doesn't need photo)
  • US military ID card

Non-photo IDs should should show your name and address. Acceptable forms include:
  • current utility bill dated within 90 days before the election
  • bank or other financial account statement
  • certified birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • check issued by the state or federal government
  • Utah hunting or fishing license
  • certified naturalization documents, but not a green card
  • certified copy of court records showing your adoption or name change
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs card
  • tribal treaty card
  • Medicaid or Medicare or Electronic Benefits Transfer card
  • ID card issued by a local government within Utah
  • ID card issued by your employer
  • ID card issued by a college, university, technical school or professional school within Utah
  • current Utah vehicle registration

If you are registering to vote at the polls on election day, you must provide a current and valid photo ID as well as proof of residency.

Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you will be able to vote a provisional ballot and must bring an ID and proof of residence to the elections office by the close of normal office hours on Monday after the date of the election.

How do I see what's on my ballot?

View your sample ballot on the Utah Lieutenant Governor's website.

How do I get help registering to vote?

TurboVote can help you start the absentee/mail-in ballot request process, send you election reminders, and more. If you’d like more help planning how to vote, we can walk you through the process!

Who can register to vote?

To register in Utah you must:
  • be a citizen of the United States
  • have resided in Utah for 30 days immediately before the next election
  • be at least 18 years old on or before the next election (individuals who are 16 and 17 years of age may pre-register to vote; if a 17 year old will be 18 years of age on or before the upcoming general election, they may pre-register and vote in the primary election)
  • not be a convicted felon currently incarcerated for commission of a felony
  • not be convicted of treason or crime against the elective franchise, unless restored to civil rights
  • currently resides within the voting district or precinct in which you register to vote

How do I vote if I'm in the military or live overseas?

Active-duty military, their families, and overseas citizens can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The FPCA process is done by mail, but your state may offer other options to request and return ballots. Please contact your local election office for more information about delivery and return methods, including email, fax, and state online portals. To follow the FPCA process:
  1. Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your local election office may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
  2. Send the application to your local election office.
  3. It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible.
  4. Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it.
  5. States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your local election office first. Then:
  • You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
  • If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
The Federal Voting Assistance Program offers additional information on military and overseas voting in Utah. You can also call 1-800-438-VOTE (8683) or email

How can I check my voter registration status?

You can look up your voter registration record and verify that your information is correct using Utah's voter registration lookup tool.

How do I contact my state election office?

Which election office should I contact?

  • In Utah, your local election office runs the elections in your area. They can help you with questions about registering to vote, voting by mail, and local elections.
  • The Lieutenant Governor oversees elections and election administration in Utah. They can help you with questions about voting in your state, election security, or issues you might have at the polls. If you have concerns about voter intimidation, reach out immediately.

How do I contact my local election office?

Visit your state’s site to find your local election office.